Canadian Students – Work Permits

What’s not to love about the changes in the Post Graduate Work Permit Program (PGWPP)? Last month, the Government of Canada made some welcome changes to the application process. You now have  twice as much time to apply for a work permit that is not dependent on being sponsored by an employer. Amazing!

International students who want to stay and work in Canada after successfully graduating now have 180 days to apply for an open work permit once they finish. This will help them get valuable Canadian experience to help them to ultimately apply for Permanent Residency (PR) under the Canadian Experience Class. Students should note however, that all work experience will not be considered as valid work experience and should be in occupations with NOC codes O, A or B.

The validity period of the post-graduation work permit may not go beyond the applicant’s passport validity date. If the applicant’s passport expires before the validity period of the post-graduation work permit,  the applicant then has to apply for a work permit extension. This can be done upon the renewal of their passport to receive the full validity of their post-graduation work permit.

What is the validity of the PGWP?

  • If the program of study is at least 8 months and less than 2 years : The length of the work permit will coincide with the length of the program. For instance if you study for 18 months, you can work for 18 months.
  • The program of study is 2 years or longer: The length of the work permit will be for 3 years

Note: Each program of study must meet all PGWPP eligibility requirements and be at least 8 months in length.

Author: Arkangel Inc.

The team at Arkangel Inc. provides helpful tips and advice on living and working in Canada. We are a fully licensed Canadian Immigration Consultancy so you can rest assured that you are in safe hands.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.